On 2015/05/16 3:20 PM, Paul Hobson wrote:

> On Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 14:58, Neil Girdhar <mistersh...@gmail.com
> <mailto:mistersh...@gmail.com>>, wrote:
>
>     Thanks, and if I want to revert my system to its old matplotlib?
>
> ​
> ​
> ​Assuming you cloned the repo from git, just checkout any revision you want.

But you have to rerun the "pip install -e ." or "setup.py develop" so
that the extension code will be rebuilt if there were any extension code
changes between revisions.

> ​
> If didn't clone from git, just reinstall matplotlib anyway you want.

It's not as simple as that, unfortunately, because different
installation methods put things in different places.  For example, if
you are on linux, the package manager will install the /usr tree while
setup etc will install in the /usr/local tree.

The usual advice for getting around such problems is to use a fresh
virtualenv (or conda environment if you are using Anaconda) for your
development.  Alternatively you can use a user install to a location of
your choice and then add that to your PYTHONPATH when you want to work
in development mode, and remove it when you want to run with whatever
python environment you had before.

Eric