scatter does not (currently) support multiple markers in a single call.
You will have to do the group-by operation and call scatter is a loop.

If you define your cmap and norm outside of scatter, you can pass the same
instances into both calls to scatter to have mpl take care of that level of
mapping for you.

Tom