There are a few things that I think make your case below behave in
non-intuitive ways. First, you are reducing only a few of the loads from one
base case to the next, but each time you are setting the target to be a scaled
version of that new base (exaggerating the differences from the original base
load pattern). Second, you allow these few loads to go negative. This means
that in the target case, they are even more negative, meaning that you have to
increase the other loads much further before you get to the same total load
(which is what you are basing the load margin on).

So, I think sticking to positive loads and using a fixed target case might
yield much more intuitive results.

   Ray