I’m not aware of any incompatibility with Matlab R2017a or R2017b. I suspect it
is something related to unexpected things in your Matlab path. Answering a
couple of questions could help us track down the problem …

- What is the output of the following command?
        v = ver('optim')

- What version of MATPOWER is this? The released v6.0, or the latest dev
version from GitHub?

  Ray