I just updated my database and reran some statistics for you. I hope the tables below come through ok in the email. Markus and Chris, I'll also send you the raw data off-list, but I thought the summary data might be interesting for others.

For those interested, this data is based on subscription to any of our mailing lists. Roughly, by joining any of our mailing lists, you become part of the Opencast Community, and this is data about that community. I extract from it the unique domain names, and then do some mostly-manual lookups to get some basic information about each domain. I'm sure there's a smarter way to do this, but haven't found it yet :)


Organization Type       Orgs    %
Higher Education        303     82%
Commercial      36      10%
Network/Consortium/Project      19      5%
Government/Non-Profit   7       2%
K-12    3       1%
Grand Total     368     100%



Regions         Orgs    %
North America   238     65%
Europe  103     28%
Asia/Pacific    15      4%
Middle East     4       1%
Africa  3       1%
Latin America   3       1%
South America   1       0%
Grand Total     367     100%


Countries       Orgs    %
US      218     59%
UK      23      6%
Germany         19      5%
Canada  19      5%
Spain   12      3%
Switzerland     8       2%
Australia       7       2%
Norway  6       2%
Netherlands     6       2%
New Zealand     4       1%
Scotland        3       1%
Portugal        3       1%
Finland         3       1%
Greece  3       1%
Belgium         3       1%
Israel  3       1%
France  3       1%
Italy   3       1%
Austria         2       1%
Denmark         2       1%
Caribbean       2       1%
Slovenia        2       1%
Japan   2       1%
Ireland         2       1%
South Africa    1       0%
Brazil  1       0%
Bulgaria        1       0%
Sweden  1       0%
Egypt   1       0%
India   1       0%
Mexico  1       0%
Nigeria         1       0%
Korea   1       0%
Grand Total     367     100%



*Current List Subscribers*
653 Community@
213 Matterhorn@
106 Matterhorn-Users@
797 Total unique email addresses*

*This may include some people who have since unsubscribed, but I don't track this. Getting a simple list of email addresses out of MailMan is painful, so I stopped using it to gather email addresses for my community tracking stats.

Hope this is helpful!

Michelle


On 5/4/2011 2:24 AM, Markus Ketterl wrote:
Hello Chris,
we had some stats in one of the latest Opencast Matterhorn papers (enclosed)[1].
Maybe we can easily extend / add new info to the figures.

Markus

[1] Opencast Matterhorn: A community-driven Open Source Software project for producing, managing, and distributing academic video. International Journal of Interactive Technology and Smart Education, Emerald Group Publishing Limited, Vol. 7 Iss: 3, pp.168 - 180, 2010.



Hey Michelle,

Markus and I are planning on submitting Matterhorn 1.1 to the ACM MM
open source software track for publication.  I'd like to get some info
from you on the size and shape of our community and project lists.  Do
you happen to have a paragraph you could share on this?

Chris

--
Christopher Brooks, BSc, MSc
ARIES Laboratory, University of Saskatchewan

Web: http://www.cs.usask.ca/~cab938 <http://www.cs.usask.ca/%7Ecab938>
Phone: 1.306.966.1442
Mail: Advanced Research in Intelligent Educational Systems Laboratory
    Department of Computer Science
    University of Saskatchewan
    176 Thorvaldson Building
    110 Science Place
    Saskatoon, SK
    S7N 5C9


=


_______________________________________________
Matterhorn mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.opencastproject.org/mailman/listinfo/matterhorn


To unsubscribe please email
[email protected]
_______________________________________________

--
Michelle Ziegmann
===========================
Electronic Communications Specialist
University of California Berkeley
Educational Technology Services

_______________________________________________
Matterhorn mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.opencastproject.org/mailman/listinfo/matterhorn


To unsubscribe please email
[email protected]
_______________________________________________

Reply via email to