For me it depends on what I'm scanning and the priority of the scan (text,
color, image). For images I use JPEG to conserve detail without having
files that are too big. For drawings or blueprints I use PNG. For multipage
scans like contracts I use PDF. There is an experimental branch that add a
headless SANE (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scanner_Access_Now_Easy)
source support
(https://gitlab.com/mayan-edms/mayan-edms/tree/feature/sane_source), this
would allow for scanning documents directly into Mayan straight from the
scanner and not having to use a separate program. It is a proof of concept
but if improved could be added in the next version.

--

---