Made some progress on this. The problem is not really with the indexing but
with this:
https://gitlab.com/mayan-edms/mayan-edms/blob/master/mayan/apps/common/mixins.py#L269

It is a solution to allow subclass views to have a method called
get_queryset while also allowing their super class to have the same method
without causing an method override. It manipulates Python class MRO (method
resolution order). For some reason in your instance, this code doesn't
execute correctly and the call to the get_queryset method ends up calling
itself until Python detects the recursion and stops it via the RunTimeError
exception. This is the error manifests in document_indexing/views.py by
really starts in common/mixins.py. So in a sense your perception of how it
behaved liked a caching problem was not far from the real cause.

The solution would be to find the cause and fix
the PreserveGetQuerysetMixin mixin class (a bit experimental) or remove it
and do proper method overloading on all classes that use the get_queryset
method. The mixin class was created to prevent security issues where a view
would bypass the ACL check from the get_queryset method, on purpose or by
accident. Will have to choose the lesser of two evils to fix this.

--

---