On Sun, 5 Feb 2006, Arpi wrote:

> accept-screen.TERM-format.patch
>     Newer GNU Screen sets TERM to screen.xxx where xxx is the client's
>     terminal name. Currently mc only accepts TERM=screen, not TERM=screen*

This patch seems pretty straight forward, but I'd like to discuss it
first...

>From screen's info manual:

[...]
   When `screen' tries to figure out a terminal name for itself, it
first looks for an entry named `screen.TERM', where TERM is the
contents of your `$TERM' variable.  If no such entry exists, `screen'
tries `screen' (or `screen-w', if the terminal is wide (132 cols or
more)).  If even this entry cannot be found, `vt100' is used as a
substitute.

   The idea is that if you have a terminal which doesn't support an
important feature (e.g. delete char or clear to EOS) you can build a new
termcap/terminfo entry for `screen' (named `screen.DUMBTERM') in which
this capability has been disabled.  If this entry is installed on your
machines you are able to do a rlogin and still keep the correct
termcap/terminfo entry.  The terminal name is put in the `$TERM'
variable of all new windows.
[...]

So one may endup with TERM set to "screen.linux" - in this case I am not
really sure that

  define_sequences (xterm_key_defines);

should be executed. In fact after reading the info manual of screen I
am not really sure that we should do this for screen in general  but
only for screen inside a xterm emulator. Maybe it won't hurt but still..

Opinions ?