Hi Susan,

I saw your job posting on the MCN list. If I may, I'd like to offer a word
of advice from an archaeologist who now produces websites for museums:
Before you or your new hire goes to the trouble of spec'ing and writing a
custom database and web front-end, I highly recommend looking at what
already exists:

- http://opencontext.org/ -- web-based database solution geared toward
publication of raw archaeological data (a project of this org, affiliated
with UC Berkeley: http://www.alexandriaarchive.org/, who would be happy to
help with advice or consulting.)

- http://collectionspace.org -- open-source web-based collection management
system

- http://collectiveaccess.org -- open-source web-based collection management
system

- http://omeka.org -- open-source web publishing platform designed for
museums. Heavier on the front-end functionality, less so on the database
aspects, but could be combined with CollectionSpace or CollectiveAccess (or
whatever) and used as front-end to display the database contents.

- GLAMkit: http://www.archimuse.com/mw2010/abstracts/prg_335002451.html -- I
think it's comparable to Omeka, mostly the web features, but designed to
plug into and display collections db content.

There are so many custom-built solutions to the same problems nowadays,
which is a shame, given the increasing availability and quality of free,
open-source, customizable tools. One size does not fit all, but a tailored
off-the-rack solution will almost always get you 90+% of the way toward the
goal, and it's much easier and cheaper than building something from scratch
and reinventing wheels.

Good luck!
.t

--