Hi all - In the last few months there have been posts to this list concerned
the use of iPads in museums, but mostly in the context of visitor being able to
use one made available by the museums in galleries or learning lounges, and
presumably able to walk around with them. We are considering using iPads as
touch screen exhibits, mounted on a stands and using local files (galleries are
not wifi enabled).

Peel Heritage Complex staff would like to know if other museums have done
anything similar. From previous posts to this list I am aware of some of the
issues surrounding public use of iPads such as limiting icons, making Settings
inaccessible and locking it down. At this stage we would like to know how well
using iPads as touchscreen displays works, if there are any pitfalls (not
necessarily of a technical nature) and if anyone has produced a best practices
document for using iPads or similar devices in exhibition galleries, rather
than the specific software that will be needed.

Thanks in advance,
David

David Farrell, Collections Registrar
Peel Heritage Complex