Just to stir the pot a bit:

Not every museum or archive is a "public charity."  Even if that is a
particular museum's legal status, it doesn't affect the legal application of
copyright protection to any photographs it produces.

The assertion of copyright in photographs (including "visual surrogates") is
indeed a legal matter.  It is a business decision whether or not to charge
money for licensing these images.  There is a clear legal distinction between
the photograph as a protectable creation and the underlying object / work /
subject that appears in that photograph.

As to "theft," yes it does happen, and yes it obviously and logically results
in a loss of potential income.  The question is, how much, and does it matter
in the end.  And the size of the image certainly doesn't matter.  A small 72dpi
image can be lifted and used in advertising on a commercial website with no
effort, resulting in a loss of significant potential licensing income. This is
simple logic. And in this particular example, it's legally simple:  it's
copyright infringement, not "sharing."  "There is no business model in stealing
images" -- of course there is; I've run into several, um, publishing
establishments based on that business model.

The interesting issues are in the less blatant examples -- real digital
sharing, not commercial rip-off.  How do we deal with that?  Because we're not
going to get anywhere by calling normative digital activity, including sharing,
"theft."  And some of our institutions really do (sorry, Ken) depend on income
from image licensing, among other sources, to stay alive.  We need new business
models.  We need to figure out how to be Google:  how to not produce a product,
not to offer anything more than thin air (a platform, access, ranking,
ones-and-zeros) and yet to make billions, become the source of all knowledge,
and take over the world.

Amalyah Keshet
Head of Image Resources & Copyright Management
The Israel Museum, Jerusalem