Amalyah's cautionary note is important and nearly correct.  The
Bridgeman v Corel decision is case law in the jurisdiction in which it
was decided, namely the Southern District of New York.  And there have
been follow-on decisions that provide nuance.  From Wikipdeia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgeman_Art_Library_Ltd._v._Corel_Corporation

Several federal courts have followed the ruling in Bridgeman. In
Meshwerks v. Toyota[2], the Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
favorably cited Bridgeman v. Corel, extending the reasoning in
Bridgeman to cover 3D wireframe meshes of existing 3D objects. The
appeals court wrote "[T]he law is becoming increasingly clear: one
possesses no copyright interest in reproductions ... when these
reproductions do nothing more than accurately convey the underlying
image". Specifically following Bridgeman, the appeals court wrote, "In
Bridgeman Art Library, the court examined whether color transparencies
of public domain works of art were sufficiently original for copyright
protection, ultimately holding that, as 'exact photographic copies of
public domain works of art,' they were not." The appeals court ruling
cited and followed the United States Supreme Court decision in Feist
Publications v. Rural Telephone Service (1991), explicitly rejecting
difficulty of labor or expense as a consideration in copyrightability.
This line of reasoning has been followed in other cases, such as
Eastern America Trio Products v. Tang Electronic Corp (2000), where it
was ruled that there is "very broad scope for copyright in
photographs, encompassing almost any photograph that reflects more
than 'slavish copying'."[1]

But this is still of very limited applicability.

ken

Kenneth Hamma

+1 310 270 8008
khamma at me.com