Glencoe, IL 60022
tel: 847-835-6841
fax: 847-835-1635
email: btankers at chicagobotanic.org
-----Original Message-----
From: mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu [mailto:mcn-l-boun...@mcn.edu] On Behalf Of
Sanford, Robyn
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 1:23 PM
To: Museum Computer Network Listserv
Subject: [MCN-L] Records for displaying unrelated objects together

I have a question for all of you data people out there.

We're going to have a costume show of our permanent collection where
mannequins will be dressed in complete outfits. This means that there
will be objects that each have their own individual record in our
database on a single mannequin. These objects may have had no previous
relationship to one another in the past (they do not share similar
accession numbers, etc, etc...). My dilemma is that we use the database
to create our labels and of course we want to retain the label text in
the database for perpetuity.

I am not sure how to do this short of creating a single parent record in
the database that links to them all, which I do not want to do. Aside
from the expected questions of what number am I supposed to give a
record like that, I also don't think it is a good policy to implement as
users would be inclined to update the label text on the record for the
labels and not the objects themselves. Or if they were so good to update
everything, well then they are just duplicating data across 2 or more
records which just seems unnecessary.

Has anyone had to deal with this before or have any ideas? We use Mimsy
by the way.

Robyn Sanford

Associate Registrar, Database Manager and Special Projects

LOS ANGELES COUNTY MUSEUM OF ART

5905 WILSHIRE BOULEVARD

LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA 90036

T 323 857 4769

F 323 857 6213

E rsanford at lacma.org <mailto:rsanford at lacma.org>

You are currently subscribed to mcn-l, the listserv of the Museum
Computer Network (http://www.mcn.edu)

To post to this list, send messages to: mcn-l at mcn.edu