Richard:

At first glance, the article contains quite a few mistakes regarding legal
issues.
Example:  "When we absolve curators of responsibility for defending our fair
use rights..."   Well, we do NOT have a fair use right to photograph, without
the artist's permission, works protected by copyright -- wherever they are
displayed -- except for certain very limited purposes, and property, privacy,
and contract law may indeed preempt that.  Only a court of law can determine
whether the purpose of the photography was fair use or not. (And it could be
argued that a curator's repsonsibility is to keep his or her museum away from
courts of law.)

Yes, that's the problem with the fair use concept as currently expressed in the
US copyright code, but that's another article altogether -- one that should be
written by someone who does their legal research a lot better.

While I sympathize with the fair use spirit of the article, one has to get
one's facts right in order to make a decent argument for ...anything.

I'm off to London for a museums copyright conference at the National Gallery:
Connecting Culture and Commerce: Getting the Right Balance
http://www.kdcs.kcl.ac.uk/mcg2007/index.htm, organized by Simon Tanner and
Naomi Korn and sponsored by the Museums Copyright Group.  I hope to meet MCN IP
colleages there -- yes? -- and I promise to report back to the MCN
constituency.

Amalyah Keshet
Head of Image Resources & Copyright Management
The Israel Museum, Jerusalem  akeshet at imj.org.il
Chair, MCN IP SIG   www.mcn.edu
Blog  www.musematic.net