Folks

Down here at the Powerhouse Museum we have just switched on an implementation
of Reuters' OpenCalais service on our OPAC/collection database.

This allows for auto-tagging of content into a variety of categories.

I've blogged about it over at Fresh & New
(http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/dmsblog/index.php/2008/03/31/opac20-opencalais-meets-our-museum-collection-auto-tagging-and-semantic-parsing-of-collection-data/).

Whilst there are some immediate problems with the way some phrases are picked
up by the parsing, the overall result is incredibly positive and powerful,
extracting significant extra value from collection records. We are now able to
extract people, place, companies and much more from plain text and auto-create
structured metadata to enhance search and discovery.

For those interested in a real-world museum example of the potential of the
'semantic web' this may be of particular interest . . . .

Seb

Sebastian Chan
Manager, Web Services
Powerhouse Museum
street - 500 Harris St Ultimo, NSW Australia
postal - PO Box K346, Haymarket, NSW 1238
tel - 61 2 9217 0109
fax - 61 2 9217 0689
e - sebc at phm.gov.au
w - www.powerhousemuseum.com
b - www.powerhousemuseum.com/dmsblog

=========================Important Notice=====================================
This email and attachments are for the use of the intended recipient(s) only
and may contain confidential or legally privileged information or material that
is copyright of Powerhouse Museum or a third party. If you have received this
email in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you
are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose or distribute this
e-mail without the author's prior permission. Any views expressed in this
message and attachments are those of the individual sender and the Powerhouse
Museum accepts no liability for the content of this message. Whilst every care
has been taken, the Powerhouse Museum cannot guarantee that the integrity of
this email has been maintained nor that the email is free of errors or viruses.
The Powerhouse Museum advises all organisations and individuals to undertake
their own virus scanning and security measures.