Thanks to Amalyah and Diane for the helpful replies!

Amalyah, I love how you get 250x300 = 300x300. Turning vagueness to your
advantage.

-----Original Message-----
From: mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu [mailto:mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu] On Behalf Of
Amalyah Keshet [akes...@imj.org.il]
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:11 AM
To: Museum Computer Network Listserv
Subject: Re: [MCN-L] AAMD thumbnail image size guidelines

FW:

From: ImageMuse at yahoogroups.com [mailto:ImageMuse at yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of Amalyah Keshet [akes...@imj.org.il]
Sent: 07 August, 2011 11:36 AM
To: 'ImageMuse at yahoogroups.com'
Subject: RE: [ImageMuse] AAMD Guidelines on Fair Use

Our collections database went online in 2006 with thumbnails of everything, at
a bit larger than the AAMD recommendations.  We take the position that this is
fundamental information analogous to the information in the caption; it just
happens to be visual.  In addition, at that size, we can serve the fair use
rights of students and researchers,  (Note:  not all countries have Fair Use
provisions in their copyright laws.)

As for your question about square works of art:  I would interpret 250 x 300 as
"300 on the longest side."  That is, 300 x 300 for a square image.

Amalyah Keshet
Head of Image Resources & Copyright Management The Israel Museum, Jerusalem
Chair, MCN IP Group