(apologies in advance for the cross-posting)

Hi everyone! Applications for THATCamp Bay Area just opened! It's easy, and
I strongly encourage anyone with an interest in technology and cultural
institutions to apply. This is a great event for newbies and seasoned
experts alike. http://www.thatcampbayarea.org/apply

Many of you are familiar with the THATCamp concept, but if you're not, The
Humanities And Technology unconference is a user-generated  conference (or
powwow) in which folks from museums, archives, libraries, and all sorts of
other digital humanities disciplines get together and talk shop, share new
ideas, and make new friends. There's a more detailed about page here:
http://www.thatcampbayarea.org/about which explains unconferences and
THATCamp.

THATCamp is open to anyone with an interest in the humanities and
technology, and is accessible to newbies as well as experienced hackers and
professionals. For newbies, or those who want to brush up on their skills, a
concurrent BootCamp will be run, and will provide an introduction to some of
the tools, methods, technologies and standards used by researchers in the
digital humanities. There's no formal agenda, so if there's something you'd
like to hear about in BootCamp, list it on the application form.

It will be held on Pier 38 at the Automattic Lounge (Automattic are the
folks behind Wordpress, and they've graciously agreed to host THATCamp Bay
Area), October 9-10, 2010. This is over near the
Financial District (not near Pier 39!), and for folks coming in from out of
town, there are a number of wonderful hotels in downtown San Francisco, all
within walking or streetcar distance from Pier 38.

Because space is tight, there is an application process. If you?re
interested in attending THATCamp Bay Area just fill in the brief application
form, which has space for a bio, session ideas you might
propose, and skills you might want to learn or teach in BootCamp.
Applications will be open from August 1 to September 1, 2010 on the
THATCampBay Area website:
http://www.thatcampbayarea.org Participants will be notified by September
9th.

The cost is cheap! We?re asking for a $25 donation which helps cover some of
the costs of coffee and breakfast snacks, lunch on Saturday, T-shirts, and
drinks on Saturday night.

Be sure to check back on the website for more information, and follow @
THATCamp and #thatcamp on Twitter. Please let your friends know and feel
free to share this with other listservs.

~Perian

>From the organizer:

Hi folks,
Thanks to you, THATCamp Bay Area is ON.  We've got an inspiring location to
hold it, and thanks to the help of a host of diverse sponsors, we'll be able
to provide food and drink and swag and still keep the cost minimal to
participants.  Now for the exciting part--opening up the party to passionate
people from multiple fields to come together with their questions and ideas
and a blank sheet of paper for two days and see what happens.

Now what?
1. Submit your Application.  Because we're tight on space and doing this for
the first time in the Bay Area, we're not sure what kind of turn out to
expect, so early registrations will help!

2. Spread the Word.  Please pass on info about THATCamp Bay Area to other
innovators, humanist, technologists and the like that you think would be
interested in it.  If you use Twitter, I've put in some sample tweets below.
 We have a Call For Participants
PDF<http://www.thatcampbayarea.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/THATCampBayArea2010CFP.pdf>
available
on the site which you can pass around or post.  And I've included below a
sample email you can use if you want to communicate that way as well.

3. Still Have Sponsor Ideas? We've kept our sponsorships small to attract a
diverse group of sponsors, and this is an unconference--our costs are low.
 If you're thinking of sponsoring to support this kind of creative
gathering, now's the time.  We could still use the help, and it's a great
opportunity to reach a unique group of catalysts.

I'm looking forward to seeing you in October!

Jon

Jon Voss
LookBackMaps.net <http://www.lookbackmaps.net/>
 jon at LookBackMaps.net
Twitter: LookBackMaps

*Ideas for Tweets under 140 characters:*
Apps now open! @THATCampSF: Innovators, humanists, technologists: join us
Oct 9-10 for #THATCamp Bay Area. http://bit.ly/96E7Iu

Innovators, humanists, technologists: join us at Automattic Lounge Oct 9-10
for #THATCamp Bay Area. http://bit.ly/96E7Iu via @THATCampSF

*A 3 paragraph email--feel free to cut or include anything:*

The Humanities and Technology Camp (THATCamp) Bay Area will take place
October 9-10, 2010.  Automattic/WordPress.com is hosting it at the
Automattic Lounge on Pier 38 in SF.  Since we have a limited number of spots
(about 75), we'll be opening a simple application process on August 1.  I
hope you'll consider applying and spreading the word to your colleagues.
 The best place to subscribe to reminders and notices is
www.twitter.com/thatcampsf.

Attendees will include innovators from across the spectrum of the
intersection of humanities and technology, from academics to entrepreneurs
to companies and organizations working in the realm of the commons.  There
will be folks from libraries, archives, and museums, all of the local
universities, and many technology companies.  You can read more about it at
www.THATCampBayArea.org <http://www.thatcampbayarea.org/about>/about.

Also, we have a limited number of small sponsorship opportunities for
companies and organizations that are interested in partnering with us and in
highlighting their role in the intersection of humanities and technology to
this group of catalysts and the greater THATCamp network.  You can see more
info on our sponsorship levels ($200 and $500) here:
http://www.thatcampbayarea.org/sponsors/.