Hi,

I'll jump in here since I'm from the MFAH and my office acts as the
clearance office for copyrights for museum objects.  The MFAH
distributes the films of Robert Frank, but we do not represent him in
regards to copyright.  Mr. Frank is very protective of his copyright and
we were asked by his representatives to make sure that unauthorized web
use of the films was stopped.  We sent C&D letters to those people who
were posting the films at the request of Mr. Frank.  It seems that
someone had posted Mr. Frank's films on YouTube without our knowledge or
permission, thereby denying Mr. Frank revenue that is his due from the
performance of his films.  Even though many of us consider these films
works of art, they are still governed by the same laws that relate to
mass-produced motion pictures and we did what any other film distributer
is compelled to do in order to maintain the trust of their client.  We
asked for the infringed material to be removed.

In order to avoid any kind of confusion, we do not post any part of Mr.
Frank's films on our website.  At the present time, we only have two
still photos on our site that describes our distribution service for the
films.

As a rights administrator, I have to say that some of the postings in
this discussion have been a little troubling to me.  I know we want to
give the public as much information as we are able to about our
collections - it's the reason we became museum professionals.  I think
that trying to "get around" copyright, however, is the last thing we
should do.  We're protectors of the objects and artifacts in our
collection. Doesn't that also mean that we should be considerate of the
rights of those artists from whom we hold their works in trust for
future visitors?  If an artist doesn't want his/her work on the
Internet, he/she has the right to that by the laws of our countries.  I
think that we should abide by their wishes.

Chuck, if your friend is still interested in posting part of one of the
films, I would suggest that he contact Mr. Frank's gallery, Pace/MacGill
(http://www.pacemacgill.com/contact_staff.html) and request permission.
He might find that the gallery is willing to work with him to provide
authorized footage for his blog.

Marty

Marcia (Marty) Stein
Photographic & Imaging Services Manager