Having managed support for mixed environments in moderate to large
organizations, though predominantly PC, since the introduction of the Mac
Plus, I would like to second Rich's thoughts and add a little.

The primary concern should be user productivity and functional efficacy;
most seeming "difficulties" in a PC environment can be overcome.. However,
in analyzing the cost of bringing in (especially your first) Macs, one
should include some funds for technical orientation or training for (at
least one) technical support staff including a good orientation to a wide
variety of formal and informal online support resources; that gives you the
win-win of getting the machines you need and professional development for
staff. There is an inherent unfairness and jeopardy in saying "guess got
we're getting and now you gotta support it."

One should also (or alternatively) identify (preferably) local Mac support
expertise which can be accessed before internal staff frustration reaches a
peak (or pique) and serves a self-fulfilling "told you so" prophecy.
Identify someone from whom staff can learn (knowledge transfer resource).

So the bottom line is that perceived problems in bringing Macs into an
otherwise PC environment can be avoided or resolved by making sure that
access to and funds for support services (internal or outsourced) are in
place. It should and can be a positive experience for "user" staff and IT
staff alike, and need not turn into "us" vs. them.

Hope this helps.