Zen Cart is a pretty good tool. I've used it several times and it's robust,
flexible, and feature-rich. And of course being open source it's free.
Personally, I think the templating system it uses is a bit of a nightmare,
with various template files located in a rabbit warren of different
directories and subdirectories. The entire process of trying to get your
website to *not* look like the standard ugly Zen Cart template is very
counterintuitive. This is also one of the reasons that upgrading Zen Cart is
so painful, since you need to track down all these modified files and make
sure they get put in the right places in the new version.

As an alternative, I highly recommend ?bercart, a suite of contributed
e-commerce modules for Drupal. Customizing and configuring is much easier,
as is adding additional features and functionality, since you have Drupal
powering the whole thing.

Like Zen Cart, ?bercart is based on OS Commerce, another open-source
shopping cart. I've used it in one install so far, but I really like what I
see. Community support is very good, too.

Andrew Fox
Webmaster
Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco
de Young Museum