Hi Ari and all,

This is just my personal 2 cents as a former MCN SIG (Special Interest
Group) chair, but I'd say your experience is not at all atypical and in
no way a symptom of cluelessness--rather, a sign of accurate radar. Most
SIGs do fall fairly dormant for most of the year, with a few exceptions.

That said, and in the spirit of transparency, inclusivity, and our MCN
conference this week (three good things!), two thoughts I can float:

1. This cyclical slide into semi-dormancy is something the SIGs have
struggled with forever, to a first approximation; and a SIG is really
only as active as its members make it. (By the way, to note this isn't
to diss our SIG chairs, but quite the opposite: they're the leaders in
this struggle against entropy.) So, I'd encourage conference attendees
who feel that they have common interest with any of the SIGs to drop by
a meeting or two, speak up, and maybe spur--and run with--an idea. The
conference schedule (see At-a-Glance, pp. 7-9, for SIGs) is online at:

<http://www.mcn.edu/conferences/index.asp?subkey=2093> .

And for a list of all SIGs, please see: <http://www.mcn.edu/groups> .

2. Great ideas re: other approaches to maintaining electronic space for
SIG content. MCN's entire assemblage of electronic services is a key
area of reassessment and work for MCN, so I'd encourage you--and anyone
else who may be interested--to keep sharing your ideas, so we can fold
them into that process. The annual general meeting (Thursday, 3PM) will
offer a chance to see who's leading MCN committee work in this and other
areas, and to hear truly brief updates on what those areas of work are.

Hope this may help, and that it didn't veer too far off into boosterism!

thanks,
Rob
Rob Lancefield (rlancefield [at] wesleyan.edu)
Manager of Museum Information Services / Registrar of Collections
Davison Art Center, Wesleyan University
301 High Street, Middletown CT 06459-0487 USA
860.685.2965
Vice President / President-Elect, Museum Computer Network (MCN)