Hi everyone,
Not long ago on this list there was a thread about image annotation
tools ([MCN-L] image annotation tools  <001803.html> ).
I have a related question and hope someone out there can point the way.

We have an archive of over 60,000 negatives representing the life work
of the Pittsburgh photographer Teenie Harris. We are about to complete
the second of two NEH Preservation and Access grants to catalogue and
scan the collection and publish it online. There are countless people
represented in the images, some of whom have been identified by
researchers during the grant. There are many more to be identified and
we will continue to look to the community to help. For the last few
years we have provided a form-based tool as part of our on-line
collection that can be used to submit image subject information to the
museum.

We are finding that the existing tools are an ineffective way to gather,
store, and deliver this kind of information (e.g. we receive feedback
like "the third person from the left in the second row, wearing the
paisely jacket, is my uncle John Smith, who sang in the Baptist Church
choir" which gets vetted and then recorded into the collections
management system, awkwardly incorporated into the item's description
and subject headings).

What we envision is an image annotation tool along the lines of Flickr's
annotations or Picasa Web Album's face labelling tool (which also links
labels of the same person across multiple images and includes a facial
recognition utility). This seems to be an ideal way to capture and
deliver subject information from the community over the web. However, as
far as I know, there is no way to capture the annotation data and store
it locally, with the image, in our collections management system. Our
collections management system does allow us to create multimedia records
from URLs pointing to resources stored remotely, which could be part of
a solution. But while we hope flickr and similar services will be there
for eternity, we must have direct control over the information
associated with the archive. Ideally the tool would also have the abilty
to embed name authorities, like the Picasa face labelling system, that
allows names to be controlled, edited, merged, etc.

Anyone care to advise? Is there something out there already that we
could adapt, or are we talking custom development?

Will

William Real
Director of Technology Initiatives
Carnegie Museum of Art
4400 Forbes Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412.622.3267
412.622.3112 (fax)
www.cmoa.org

Join our email list for exhibition and event news:
http://members.carnegiemuseums.org/email

Member Exclusives!  Insider e-newsletters-plus private previews,
e-invites, free admission, and more when you join online:
http://members.carnegiemuseums.org/SupportCMP