From: mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu [mailto:mcn-l-boun...@mcn.edu] On Behalf Of
Richard Urban
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 3:39 PM
To: Museum Computer Network Listserv
Subject: Re: [MCN-L] FW: Can a CIS be a DAMS too?

Hi Matt,

I'm curious about where the drive is coming from to have a "one stop
solution" mean there's one system under it all.   I often feel sorry
for the folks at Past Perfect when I see comments elsewhere about why
doesn't it also do accounting, POS,  and your taxes on top of already
managing museum collections, archives, libraries, and membership.  I
think it juliennes potatoes too.

Colleges and universities are working to build institutional
repositories (IR) to capture "grey literature' on campuses, and some
of these solutions may be adaptable to building digital repositories
of non-collection materials in a museum, as you suggest - CAD
drawings, exhibit scripts, PR copy, etc.

The challenge of course, is that sometimes these materials are
related to objects in a CIS, or images in DAM.   As I suggested to
Dianne, the question may be, how do we build more open systems that
allow interaction between different functions.

Cheers,

Richard Urban
rjurban at uiuc.edu

On Jun 27, 2006, at 4:41 PM, Morgan, Matt wrote:

> One problem that museums sometimes face in making this decision is
> that
> collections systems are object-related, while museums typically
> have lots of
> digital assets that are not object-specific. Audio tours & podcasts,
> brochures and other print publications, videos, educational materials,
> presentation slides, CAD drawings of exhibition designs, photos of
> people
> and events, VRs of installations, etc. Where do those assets go, in
> the
> structure that a collections system provides? If a museum DAMS is
> going to
> be a one-stop solution, most likely it'll need to handle these things.
>
> Another main issue is the sophistication of the user-level asset
> manipulation and production workflow tools that DAMS often provide.
> For
> example, most DAMS offer automated production of properly-sized and
> formatted derivative images for your web site, and some have
> "export to
> powerpoint" or other handy slide-manipulation tools. Many have
> mechanisms
> for approving and verifying image uses for different purposes,
> based on
> pre-assigned rights-management rules. Some have e-commerce modules for
> licensing images to outside customers. I'm not familiar with MINT,
> but these
> are areas in which most collections systems are not really
> competing right
> now.
>
> These don't look like primary concerns of yours, but I mention them
> just in
> case!
>
> Good luck,
> Matt
>
> On 6/27/06 4:54 PM, "Nilsen, Dianne" <dnilsen at ccp.library.arizona.edu>
> wrote:
>

>>   _____

You are currently subscribed to mcn-l, the listserv of the Museum
Computer Network (http://www.mcn.edu)

To post to this list, send messages to: mcn-l at mcn.edu