>From a branding standpoint you should always try to promote your domain
name as cleanly as possible. The chances of anyone typing a long url
correctly are slim, and ideally as Ari says, it should be memorable so
that they don't need the listing to type it out. The ideal situation is
to list your domain and ensure there is a relevant link on it, either
directly or indirectly - we promote events indirectly by listing the
homepage and an instruction to link to our Events Calendar; or directly
by just listing the homepage and feature an icon of that event on our
home page. Alternatively, we set up a redirect at the root level so that
we can promote a short url comprising of domain name and a short
descriptor e.g. getty.edu/thang

-nik

>>> "Ari Davidow" <aridavidow at gmail.com> 12/19/2006 8:29 AM >>>
It depends on what you are promoting. If you are talking about your
website
in general, use the main home page. If you are talking about something
specific, send people to that specific location (this is where you want
either have human-readable URLs or build in some simple redirects).
You
never want to send people to your website, and from there to have to
figure
out how to get where they really wanted to be.

ari

On 12/18/06, Christina DePaolo <Christinad at seattleartmuseum.org>
wrote:

> Do you have a standard for promoting your website in your
organization's
> print publications?

You are currently subscribed to mcn-l, the listserv of the Museum
Computer Network (http://www.mcn.edu)

To post to this list, send messages to: mcn-l at mcn.edu