I think it's worth noting for the record that Deb Wythe and the Brooklyn Museum
began making public domain images available way before other US museums, and
with fewer restrictions. Brooklyn (and to some extent the Met) have been early
in moving toward open, free access to all p.d. images.

To do so, Brooklyn has had to mount a huge project to research the copyright
status of every work. As Peter Hirtle's chart tells us, determining whether a
work is p.d. or not is not always a cut-and-dried thing.

That said, the next stage of this process is looming: to make all p.d. images
available for all uses--including highly commercial ones--without trying to
monetize the process.

Deb, the one bone I would pick with you is on the question of how difficult or
onerous the paperwork and research are for end-users. The process is
out-of-control burdensome, with as many as 3 or 4 different stakeholders all
claiming authority to grant or withhold access.

In NYC, if one wants to get a permit to do work on one's building, the process
is so entangled, and so many people need to be bribed, that it has given rise
to a career known as an "expediter." Likewise, museums, publishers, and
individual authors are having to hire rights-clearance professionals just to
get access to pictures that are freely found everywhere on the Internet.

And lastly, the Internet is full of those pictures, but by and large the
quality is terrible. The museums who are the stewards of art and who profess to
care most about the artworks have taken great care to keep their high-res,
large-size, color-corrected scans as unavailable as possible.

Instead, the bad ones--the cheap scans from books, the old outdated faded
copies--are what the public (and the arts community) has access to. I cannot
fathom how this can be said to meet museum mission, or serve art well.

In a nutshell: the advent of the Internet changed the game, and museums are
now, step by step, coming to terms with that.

Regards,
Eve Sinaiko
NYC