Hi Jesse,

Many museums base their policies in this regard on the "Policy on the
Use of 'Thumbnail' Digital Images in Museum Online Initiatives" from the
Association of Art Museum Directors. There's a link to download it as a
PDF from this page:

https://aamd.org/standards-and-practices

Hope this helps,
Rob

Rob Lancefield
Manager of Museum Information Services / Registrar of Collections
Davison Art Center, Wesleyan University
301 High Street, Middletown CT 06459-0487 USA
rlancefield [at] wesleyan [dot] edu  |  tel. 860.685.2965