This is from the old days of server maintenance.  And I do mean old, like 2002:

First, don't trust the raid device, the drives may still be good.

If you had an existing spare drive,
one that was never installed, you could remove all the drives (LABELING THE BAD
ONE), put only that new one in and boot up.  That can trick the raid drivers
into working again.  But it might not work with just one drive.  If it does,
cool! Initialize the drive and pull it out.  Reinstall the others, boot up and
see and see what you have.

If still bad, then install the extra for the bad one and see what you have.

Lastly you could buy a shell, install each drive and copy off the data.  You'd
at least get something...  Try cnet.com for some easy data recovery tools.

Good luck, go to Del Mar...

Jeffrey Evans
Photographer
Mgr. of Visual Resources