At the NGA, we create both internal (private) and external (public) TMS data
extracts for security and performance reasons.  We then combine the collection
data with image meta-data from several sources.  A series of views is applied
to the aggregated data tables and used to create read-only system-specific
exports, e.g. public web site, Intranet, etc. and these are refreshed nightly.

Beginning with the NGA's OSCI implementation, we author scholarly essays
directly in our web content management system (Adobe AEM) and we are currently
considering plans to expand those tools.  In general, we seem to be trending
towards a distributed model for collection data management which is probably a
healthy direction since no collection management system is a panacea.

However, an increase in the number of authoritative sources of collection data
suggests there must be a corresponding evolution of data aggregation and access
services.  The Getty and Cooper-Hewitt are inspirational in this area with
their DOR (digital object repository) and public APIs respectively.  I suspect
there must be similar efforts underway at other institutions and would be very
interested to learn more about them.

Collection management, content management, and DAM systems come and go.  By
creating well defined interfaces, applications that consume collection data
become more sustainable since they don't have to be changed every time core
systems are updated or replaced.  Perhaps even more importantly, the
sustainability and compatibility of open source software built by the museum
community and third parties is greatly amplified by open standards and common
APIs.