From: Richard Rinehart [mailto:rineh...@uclink4.berkeley.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2000 4:33 PM
To: mc...@listserv.mcn.edu
Subject: Re: Wired Rick

Thanks; I'm blushing. I never thought of this as subject for a
session! Something about pedagogies involving art and technologies?
(I have thought of doing this again, but using our museum
collections). Hm. I do know some other art/digital faculty I could
invite - but then again I invited them last time and they failed to
show :( Anyway, it turns out that I'm going to teach digital media at
UC Berkeley this summer in the Art dept. and maybe ongoing, just part
time, in addition to the museum, so this project really fired up some
energy! Thanks for forwarding it :)
Rick

>MCN Board Member and SIG liason Richard Rinehart makes Wired News  *again*.
>  Really Cool!  And do I detect here a great presentation for Las Vegas...?
>
>Congratulations!

>When Art Imitates Art
>by Terence Chea
>
>WIRED NEWS 3:00 a.m. Apr. 25, 2000 PDT
>
>BERKELEY, California -- Art students at two California universities are
>learning that art takes on a life of its own when it's hung on the virtual
>gallery walls of the Internet.
>
>Students at the University of California at Berkeley and Sonoma State
>University have teamed up for the online art exhibit CU: A
>Tele-collaborative Art Inquiry.
>
>Berkeley students are displaying their work on the Internet while Sonoma
>State students evaluate and criticize its digital representations on the
>Internet. The originals are not digital.
>
>"We are using the Net as our medium instead of print," said Richard
>Rinehart, an instructor of art and technology at Sonoma State. "The idea is
>that they get them to interpret their own work through another medium."
>
>CU was developed by Rinehart, Kevin Radley, an instructor of new genres in
>the UC Berkeley art department, and Tony Le, a Berkeley student who serves
>as the project's technical manager...
>

>  <http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,35810,00.html>
>

>Amalyah Keshet
>Head of Visual Resources, The Israel Museum, Jerusalem
>Board of Directors, the Museum Computer Network
>Chair, MCN Intellectual Property Special Interest Group
>akes...@imj.org.il
>akes...@netvision.net.il

Richard Rinehart
Digital Media Director
Berkeley Art Museum/Pacific Film Archive
@ University of California
www.bampfa.berkeley.edu
& Board of Directors
Museum Computer Network