Hi everybody,

as Rob has already mentioned, Amalyah's post (and the subsequent ideas) started very successful negotiations behind the scenes between the Standards & Vocabulary SIG and the Digital Media SIG about co-sponsoring a session about longevity. The current discussion again confirms the interest in the topic - it also came up in the Digital Imaging SIG meeting in Cincinnati as one of the requested session topics.

If anybody has suggestions for speakers, Rob and I'd be glad to receive them. I'd be especially interested in having speakers who will talk about DVD-R storage in the hardmedia realm, and DIG35 and the soon-to-be NISO Standard on digital still images in the realm of metadata.

And somebody convince Jim to ship that exhibit on media storage from Glasgow to Toronto...:-)

Cheers,
Guenter

Hi Amalyah et al,

I think this would be an important session for anyone involved in digital
archiving.  Perhaps we could even have a mini exhibition of media storage
in the exhibition hall?  We had an exhibition here some years back which
dealt with 40 years of computing at the University of Glasgow and one of
the most commented on exhibits was the range of storage devices we had,
from giant 4 foot disks which in the 60s stored 250K to Jaz cartridges etc,
which were then one of the lateest things.

Cheers,

Jim.