Hi Will,
In San Francisco we use the same system as St. Louis with one minor
variation.  We are called upon for various reasons to give out the number of
things we have at least several times a year, so we think about this one a
lot.  We use the registrar's convention with a twist--if an object's parts
must be displayed together, it's 2001.25.A-Z.  Each part has its own record
(for reasons Cathryn states below) and like St. Louis we use the overall
record to record exhibition history, loans, etc.

It gets interesting when an object has parts that can be displayed
separately, like a portfolio, so we use the group record 2001.25.1-26, but
we count each object within the portfolio as a separate whole object, and
the group record gets a "no" in the whole object field. Our logic is that
each of the portfolio "parts" can be displayed separately and could even be
loaned separately.

Marla Misunas
Manager, Collections Database
Collections Information and Access