On 04/19/2005 09:45 AM, Goral, Becky wrote:

I was wondering if anyone is using any type of software program to track/log exhibition tasks and schedules. For example, we are looking for something that includes which person is responsible for painting pedestals as well as a start and finish date for that task. We would also like to log when the art arrives, the installation and de-installation of it, who is hanging it, etc. Additionally, it should be able to include curators and curatorial assistants tasks related to the exhibition.

I asked our Vice-Director of Operations what he does. He uses MS-Project, and he said:

"This is about the way I use [MS Project]; only I do not program the individuals. I have the number of men (resources) and the time allowed to do the job. All of it is reviewed on the Gantt Chart which I use to plan my manpower resources. It is possible to do what you are asking; but I would go into those details only if I had 30 or more people to schedule. With 3 or 4 people per shop, it is more important to schedule to "windows" for the shops rather than the individuals."

By "shop" he means carpentry, electricians, engineers, painters, etc.

FYI, there is a free, open-source analog to MS-Project called "Planner" (http://www.imendio.com/projects/planner/). I use it and it seems very similar to MS-Project to me, but I'm not an expert in either. I've been hoping to switch some of our Project users to Planner; they're expecting the Windows port to come out in a few weeks (no Mac ports planned, as far as I know).

---
You are currently subscribed to mcn_mcn-l as: rlancefi...@mail.wesleyan.edu
leave-mcn_mcn-l-12800...@listserver.americaneagle.com