On 05/28/2005 04:23 PM, amalyah keshet wrote:

"...The exchange sounded a lot more like MTV than Modern Art 101, but ...it had a few things to recommend it. It was free. It didn't involve the museum's audio device, which resembles a cellphone crossed with a nightstick. And best of all, it was slightly subversive: an unofficial, homemade and thoroughly irreverent audio guide to MoMA, downloaded onto her own iPod...

...Specifically, these museum guides are an outgrowth of a recent podcasting trend called "sound seeing," in which people record narrations of their travels - walking on the beach, wandering through the French Quarter - and upload them onto the Internet for others to enjoy. In that spirit, the creators of the unauthorized guides to the Modern have also invited anyone interested to submit his or her own tour for inclusion on the project's Web site, mod.blogs.com/art_mobs <http://mod.blogs.com/art_mobs>..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/28/arts/design/28podc.html

How long before we see the new business model: a community web site for user-supplied tour uploads and free redistribution (ad-supported of course) of audio tours for museums, tourist destinations, etc.?

It would be nice to see a museum web site offer this service for its visitors. Was it on Gail Durbin's list of 50 ways for a museum site to be two-way? We had a little system crash last week and I haven't had a chance to read it yet. Or is anyone already doing this? I have always hoped that our PocketMuseum project would be used not just on the handhelds we supply, but also on visitors' own web-enabled handhelds. But there are a lot more mp3 players out there than web-enabled handhelds (for now). This would be a much quicker path to getting visitors to take advantage of their own devices.

--Matt

---
You are currently subscribed to mcn_mcn-l as: rlancefi...@mail.wesleyan.edu
leave-mcn_mcn-l-12800...@listserver.americaneagle.com