?

Perian et al.,

EMu (or rather, its underlying database, Texpress) is natively UNIX. We opted
to run it on Windows server because as others have pointed out, our IT staff
was expert in Windows server management but had no experience with UNIX/Linux.
I have no direct experience to compare EMu's performance on Windows vs. Linux
but I can say that in general EMu is quite stable in Windows. When we were
pondering this decision, the Linux advocates told us we would be giving up
Linux's relatively leaner/meaner qualities compared to Windows, in exchange for
Windows' more "user-friendly" graphical interface etc. I have practically no
experience with Linux so I can't comment on the accuracy of those assessments.
I did get a subtle sense from KE staff that if we could have gone with Linux
they would have recommended it, but it was very subtle. I recall there was also
some relationship between the number of records in the database and which
platform was recommended; as I recall the threshhold was something like 100,000
records. Above that, I think there was a stronger recommendation for Linux. We
were quite a bit below that level, so felt more comfortable with our choice of
Windows.

Will Real

Carnegie Museum of Art

---