Hi all,

We're investigating adding automated ecommerce delivery of high-res images as
part of an overhaul of our digital collections website.  As part of this
process, we're hoping to revise our current practices for image delivery,
moving away from asking about potential end use (we want to avoid making a
legal call on how people use our material).  However, we still will want to
charge a fee to recoup at least some of our costs to image and catalog the
material, and we'd like to make these fees fair to potential users (e.g.
charging less to nonprofits than for-profits, making fees very minimal for
personal use, etc.).  The examples I've been able to find online for museum
image delivery tier the pricing based on the end use (x for print run under
5,000, y for print run over 5,000, z for web use, etc.), which we'd like to
avoid.

Question: Are others delivering image files (online or off) without asking the
requestor about potential use, and if so, would you be willing to share your
fee structure-particularly if it's tiered?

Thanks!

Gain Perspective. Get Inspired. Make History.

Ellice Engdahl, PMP
Digital Collections & Content Manager
P: 313.982.6005
E: elli...@thehenryford.org