Hi all,
I'm seeking some popular wisdom regarding tools or methods to help us export
SQL data into nicely formatted Excel documents. While our driving purpose is to
create user-friendly exhibition checklists, this solution would assist us in so
many other information-sharing projects.

Background:
We have a SQL database.
Non-technical users need an interface to query or isolate a data set (users
could provide a unique ID, but they can't edit SQL view parameters, if you get
my drift).
Data (including ThumbBLOB images) need to be delivered or exported into a
somewhat well-formatted Excel spreadsheet that maintains its grid alignment.

Presently we run a Crystal report and export the Crystal report to an "Excel
Data Only" format, but the labor involved in reformatting a "raw" spreadsheet
every time the data is refreshed is sinking us.
We're open to considering almost any variety of solutions (Excel macros, Visual
Basic, Crystal Reports, SQL Server Reporting services, .NET, PHP, XML - or
anything else that works!)

If anyone has good (or bad) experience or advice, it would be very helpful! I
may be missing something obvious, but I'm not finding a lot of channels for
solving this problem.

Many thanks!

Kate Blanch
Administrator, Museum Databases
410.547.9000 x.266 | kbla...@thewalters.org

The Walters Art Museum
600 North Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21201-5185
thewalters.org<http://thewalters.org/>