The installation at the Institute of Texan Cultures is a rare and impressive
example of immersive theater. The original production was about culture, not
science, btw.

The Eames produced something very similar in their famous World Fair Expo
pavilion for IBM in 1964. The World Expo 67 in Montreal featured a whole range
of alternative, immersive moving image exhibits along these lines. You can find
film of both on youTube. The immersive theater at the ITC comes from the same
era — produced for the Hemisfair in 1968.

If you widen your search beyond the moving image, per se, you can trace the
whole medium back to to the big panorama rotundas of the 19th century. These
often served the same purpose as the NYTimes product, in that they frequently
portrayed "current events" (the definition of "current" has changed!) from far
off places, especially military campaigns.

This is a focus of my longterm research, as well as a medium I have worked in
artistically, and I love talking about this stuff. Feel free to get in touch if
you want to discuss it more!
On that note, what is your end goal with this research?

Cheers,
Jason

Jason Jay Stevens
Flutter & Wow Museum Projects