As I read Peter Rooney's question, I think Peter is asking about automated
speech-to-text, as opposed to systems to aid human transcription.

However, in the latter category,I would look at Amara, which is a nonprofit
organization that provides free aids for creating captions (along with
fee-based systems suitable for managing large-scale transcription projects:
https://amara.org

I would also look at Oral History Metadata Synchronizer from University of
Kentucky:  http://www.oralhistoryonline.org

Peter, if you are interested in speech-to-text software, let the list know
and I'm sure there are people who can share their experiences.