I totally agree with Douglas, but would also point out that if you must go with
a microsite approach with its own URL, then you can consider a subdomain
instead of a path appending approach, like this:

SpecialExhibit.museum.org

That has several technical advantages including, but not limited to, different
DNS settings being applied, no redirects on the web server's end, the strong
association with your original parent domain, front-loading the exhibit name in
the URL for branding purposes, different caching rules being easy to write, etc.

Lots of the above advantages are not unique to the subdomain approach, though.
For example, if you use something like Cloudflare, then you can use their page
rules to achieve the same thing, though having a subdomain, IMHO, helps
organize things a bit easier.

Whatever you do, I'd strongly discourage you from making a whole new domain,
unless if the situation seriously warrants it.

Hope that helps, and good luck on the new exhibit microsite!

Take care,
Sina

President, Prime Access Consulting, Inc.
Twitter: @SinaBahram
Company Website: https://www.pac.bz
Personal Website: https://www.sinabahram.com