Hi Jessica,

I've just finished a project with Shire Hall Historic Courthouse and they
check out both iPads and iPod Touches for use as Family and Audio Guides
(running Darwin: www.digitalopps.co.uk/site/darwin/)

They work on the very simple basis of a credit/debit card 'safe' - the
visitors hands over the card which is put into an individual, score, box -
they are then given the unique key to that box. SAO no-one but the visitor
can retrieve their card, and the museum doesn't have to take a card imprint
etc.

Pretty straightforward and it seems to work well.  If you're interested I
an forward you their details but in advance of that I'm pretty sure they
use this system: https://cardssafe.com

Best,
Ian

--