Hi Liz,

Greetings from the Imaging SIG. Robin Myers is a respected name in the
cultural heritage imaging field. His software does one thing called
flat-fielding, but it does it well. Flat fielding allows a photographer to
even the illumination of a flat work that was not lit perfectly evenly and
correct for imperfections in lens vignetting (no lens is perfect) by
photographing a large white card (bigger than the painting) under the same
lighting and having the software figure out the unevenness of the lighting
from that white card and apply the correction to the photograph of the
painting (or drawing, object… whatever it works on various flat objects but
let’s just say paintings for now…).

One reason (and the fear that a lot of non-imaging people have is) a
photographer might want to do that is they might not have a large enough
space, enough time, the right skills, or enough equipment to completely
light an object perfectly evenly, but I find that that is rare. More often
I find that it is used by photographers who want to bring more texture out
of the paintings. The problem with even lighting is it is very flat and
doesn’t allow for the small shadows that highlight the texture of a
painting. A more raking light will accentuate the texture of the painting,
but it requires that one side of the painting be more strongly lit than the
other. By photographing with a raking light and then flat-fielding, the
photographer can get the best of both worlds, having more texture but not
having it seem that one side of the painting is much brighter and the other
much darker.

Many programs used with higher end medium format digital cameras like Phase
One’s Capture One or Hasselblad’s Phocus will have a type of flat-fielding
option built in using their own names (Phase One calls it LCC and
Hasselblad calls it Scene Calibration) and it’s pretty common to use one of
these tools particularly on smaller works 2D works (needing a white board
larger than your work makes the process less practical for extremely larger
objects). But when you can use it it's one step (among others that should
be also taken) that can ensure the image is best representing the colors
and tones of the original work and knowing that the dark corners are what
the artist actually painted and not just that the lens vignetted a little
there..

As far as should you trust a photographer using the tool? It’s a tool used
by many photographers that I trust. That said it is just one tool and and
craftsman worth his paycheck should have a tool box with a lot of different
tools for different tasks. If I was dealing with a carpenter and they were
telling me about their random orbital sander... that is great they can do
amazing things, but you also need a hammer and a saw and you need to know
how to use them.

--
Kurt Heumiller

Studio Production Manager