> On Mar 9, 2020, at 12:15 PM, Jason Bondy <jbo...@okhistory.org> wrote:
>
> I am curious as to what others are using to disinfect or sanitize
> touchscreens in exhibits.

TLDNR: I would not recommend alcohol. Otherwise, consider that your cleaning
crew is probably using whatever they have on hand unless you have explicitly
told them not to clean your touch screens.

Longer and more detailed answer:

Not all monitors are the same. No manufacturer I’ve encountered will tell you
that you can use alcohol, even if you can. Modern video monitors, especially
large sizes, are generally pretty tough. The screens are glass and you can use
anything that you can use on glass, including alcohol, but do not generalize.

This is not true of all screens!

"Don't use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents,
alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPad. iPad has an oleophobic coating on
the screen” - Apple

This type of coating is common on consumer style touch screens like iPads and
phones. Do people use alcohol on iPads and phones? Yup, all the time. Did they
notice that they destroyed the coating? Nope, because they are constantly
cleaning their screens.

Many “computer” monitor screens are plastic and may also have various coatings.
Generally you tell if a screen is glass or plastic based in the feel. Plastics
can certainly be damaged by alcohol. Some monitors also have coatings, such as
anti-glare which can be damaged by harsh chemicals.

Most frames are plastic whose finish may be damaged, at least cosmetically. Any
other finished surfaces around the monitor, especially paint, may also be
damaged by alcohol.

Some touch screens, especially older touch screens have a touch sensitive film
overlay which can be damaged by harsh chemicals.

Most important: stop deluding yourself. You cannot “disinfect" a touch screen.
You just can’t. Unfortunately, no one wants to hear that and so we are forced
into “security theater.” I suggest providing high visibility hand sanitizer
stations everywhere. That way any germaphobe is only seconds away from much
more satisfying personal sanitization regardless of what they’ve touched.

Cheers,
               tod