hello,

It's been a while since I made any releases - I have been super busy with the
new brokers and daemons and waiting for Puppet 5.4.0 to ship.  I wanted to
write a mail giving everyone an update on where we are and what is happening.

I am working full time on Choria related projects so there's a LOT going on, I
am happy to expand on any of these topics if you are interested please respond
and ask questions.

So we're approaching various things falling into place and I will be shipping
the following:

Releases of the existing choria related modules with some fixes and
dependencies for stuff mentioned below and some valuable contributions received
from the community

A new 'choria' module that will slowly absorb the confusing mess from the
choria/mcollective and choria/mcollective_choria modules and deliver a lot of
what is discussed below

A new middleware broker that replaces the NATS you have been setting up for
choria with one called 'choria broker'.  The above 'choria' module will install
this.  This will be available for RHEL 5-7, Debian 9 and Ubuntu LTS. Package
repos are on packagecloud.io.  This broker has a 3 line configuration and is
compatible with the ruby choria you have now.

   https://packagecloud.io/choria/release

The broker mentioned above is currently aiming at a MUCH improved registration
story, I am building really large scale registration and meta data gathering
system by bridging mcollective messages into NATS Streaming / Kafka / Kinesis
etc

Embeddable daemons particularly suited for things like IoT and to provide
custom control plans into the internals of other applications, some links:

   https://github.com/ripienaar/choriapi
   https://github.com/ripienaar/embedded-choria-sample#readme

A way to write playbooks in the new Puppet Plan DSL so you can build on your
puppet knowledge. Here are some links:

   https://gist.github.com/ripienaar/2f0b7c8ae9c59234963718b46fce8084
   https://gist.github.com/ripienaar/b57bcd5081e2de73d438f4e220d333df
   https://choria.io/docs/playbooks/plans/ (outdated but conveys the idea)

A way to use Bolt tasks as choria agents which will come as a optional module
to install:

   https://youtu.be/LLyjPjZW7TE

Kind of related and released under the choria umbrella:

A way to replicate NATS Streaming topics between data centres and across the
globe, this is key to the registration stuff I mentioned above:

   https://github.com/choria-io/stream-replicator

A way to use NATS Streaming and optionally the above replicator to federate
prometheus traffic around the globe where direct intra DC connections are not
possible:

   https://github.com/choria-io/prometheus-streams#readme

I will soon start absorbing the various mcollective plugin repos and they will
start shipping bolt tasks, playbook integrations and default action policy
rules to ensure a smooth read only out of the box experience (package status
works out of the box, package install doesn't)

Longer term I am working on a new daemon that will replace mcollectived.  Right
now its functional but still development level, the embeddable repos above is
already using this

A lot of release automation stuff has been happening, nightly RPMs for some
repos are being posted already, more to follow

Further I am exploring the following directions:

Auto provisioning of choria instances to manage really very large scale networks

Gossip based agent comms channels for comms between nodes for large scale adhoc
coordination without the need for a central orchestraor to create a much more
independent style of management.

--
R.I.Pienaar / www.devco.net / @ripienaar

--