On 26-Jul-99, Seppo Typp� wrote:

> Hi all,
> 
> Could someone please advice me where to find the MicroDot-II FAQ? 
> 
> I amcurrently evaluating the MicroDot-II ver1.3 (so far my impressions 
> are very favourable and I am very close to purchasing the full
> program). I have couple of questions which are propably covered in
> the FAQ but for some reason the FAQ part in MicroDot amigaguide is
> empty and I could not find it from Vaporware web pages either..

                              Microdot-II FAQ


1. External editor

 a. How do I specify an external editor?

   MUI settings, TextInput, Misc tab, External editor

 b. I don't have TextInput in my MUI settings.  What is wrong?

   You have to copy the TextInput.mcc and .mcp files from the
   Microdot-II/MUI directory to MUI:libs/mui/

 c. How do I use GoldED as my external editor

   Set External editor as above with GOLDED:ED

 d. How do I use CygnusEd as my external editor

   If you don't use the CygnusEd activator 'c:ed' do this:
     Set External editor as above with C:CED -keepio
     In CED, set HOTSTART off, this keeps CED from remaining in memory
     when you exit and preventing Microdot2 from continuing.

   If you do use the CygnusEd activator 'c:ed' do this:
     Set External editor as above with C:ed -keepio
     Whether or not you wish to keep Ced memory resident is up to you
     since when you use activator Microdot2 won't be prevented from
     continuing.

 e. How do I use the external editor?

   In the Internal editor, click on the button in the lower right
   corner between the scroll bars, use the popup menu and select
   External Editor, or click on the leftmost menu bar, marked "external"

2. Internal editor

 a. How do I turn WordWrap on?

   Settings menu, Reader, Wordwrap, or popup menu in the Internal
   Editor, select WordWrap or in MUI settings, TextInput, Misc tab,
   Wordwrap default on.

 b. How do I the length of Wordwrap in characters?

   MUI Settings, TextInput, Misc tab, click on the slider button
   under Wordwrap and slide it to the number you want.

3. Moving messages

 a. I select move but it doesn't list any folders to move it to.

   You can only move mail into PRIV mail folders.  If you don't have
   any, you can create one with the Group menu, Create new mail
   folder.  However, you can not move a message into the root level PRIV
   folder.

 b. I move the mail and it disappears!

   This was a known bug in previous versions of MD2.  Get the latest
   version at ftp.vapor.com and it should work fine now.

4. ARexx

 a. How do I get the rexx scripts to list in the ARexx menu of MD2?

   Put the .mdrx files in the Microdot2/Rexx directory and they will
   be listed automatically.  Sendbrowser.mdrx will not be listed.

 b. How do I use Sendbrowser.mdrx?

   Just put it in the Microdot2 or Microdot2/Rexx directory and it will
   work with the http:// links.

5. Buttons

 a. My buttons don't work.  Why?

   Be sure you are running RexxMast since the buttons use ARexx to
   send their commands.

 b. Can I use a button to do more than one thing or to run an ARexx script?

   Yes.  Just be sure to remove the trailing and leading ' in the ACTION
   string.

   example: 'RemoveSelectedMsgs ; GotoMsg NEXT'
   example: mailimport

6. MailImport

 a. How do I import mail into MicroDot2 from YAM, THOR, etc. ?

   MicroDot2 imports mail one file at a time.  You have to specify the
   filename when using the MailImport function as a button.

 b. Is there an easier way than setting the button with a new filename
    for each email?

   There is a MailImport.mdrx ARexx script which calls rexxreqtools.library
   (available on Aminet) file requestor and allows you to select the files
   you want to import.

7. Sorting Email

 a. How can I change the way Microdot2 sorts email messages?

   Click on the header to sort by that method.  Click it again to reverse
   sort.

 b. Will Microdot2 allow sorting by various methods?  ie. Sender, date,
    subject, and allow reverse sorting by the same fields?

   Yes, it does.

8. Signatures

 a. When I make a signature it doesn't stay stored.

   After you make the signature click on a different button, like Follow-up
   header, before you close the settings window in order to keep the
   signature. (known bug)

 b. What options are available for the follow-up and reply headers?

   Leave the mouse pointer over the button and the help bubble will list
   them.

 c. I select a signature, but it never shows up in the message editor.

   The signature will be appended to the end of your message after you
   press the SEND button.  You can verify this by looking at the new
   message in the SPOOL folder.

9. Forwarding Mail

 a. I have "Forwarded" mail to a friend, but all they receive are the
    headers. The body of the mail hasn't been sent. is this a known bug, has
    anyone else had this problem, or is it something I'm not doing right?

   Yes, AFAIK this is allready reported. FWD only works when you flag
   'edit mail before FWD'. Otherwise, the body will remain empty...

10. Sending/Storing Mail

 a. When I write a message and select the STORE button, MD-II will not send
    my message later.

   This is due to some confusion created by an entry in the history file.

   o The SEND button will attempt to send your message immediately if you
     are online, and will just bring up an error requestor if you are offline.

   o The STORE button saves your message and will not send it.  This is so
     you can resume editing the message at a later time without the message
     being sent before you are ready.

   You will just need to edit the message in the SPOOL folder and then SEND
   it.

11. Base64/UUEncode

 a. Every file I send as an attachment in MD-2 is sent as a Base64
    attachment.  Can MD-2 send UUEncoded files?

   MD-2 currently uses Base64 as the method of "attaching" files, but does
   have the ability to send files as UUEncoded.  There are two ways you can
   achieve this.

   o Select "Include Text File" from the MD-2 editor and choose a binary
     file.  MD-2 will prompt you to select "Attach" (Base64) or "UUEncode".

   o Drag-n-drop the icon of the file you want to send onto the Text window
     of the built-in editor.  MD-2 will again prompt you as above.
     Note: MD-2 must be open on the Workbench screen for this to work.

   However, be warned!  The internal UUEncode routine in MD-2 is not very 
   compatible with other UUDecoders.  The output of MD-2's routine is NOT
   compatible with UUxT or UUx030.  These decoders complain about an 
   "Unexpected end of input". It also tends to leave spaces in the encoded
   data which may break some decoders if it somehow gets wordwrapped.


   If you really must use UUEncoded file attachments, you are better of
   encoding the files first, then including the output file into your
   message.


ARexx scripts Sendbrowser.mdrx and MailImport.mdrx are created by Charles
Patterson and available at his homepage on the AMIGA page.

  http://www.azstarnet.com/~midian




Regards
-- 
Roger Clark
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
UIN 13648880

________________________________________________________________
MicroDot-II Mailing List - Info & Archive: http://www.vapor.com/
For Listserver Help: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "HELP"
To Unsubscribe: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "UNSUBSCRIBE"

Reply via email to