Hi Brian,

"Brian Youn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Decided to get adventurous today and took apart my MZ-R90 (Japanese model).

Good work!

> Quite a hassle as you have to remove the battery hatch (which is possible
> without doing any permanent damage, just need to slide it off with a little
> force).  But here is (what I presume to be) the IC chip# which may shed some
> light on the ATRAC version...
> 
> CXD2660GA
> 
> I recall the R55 used the CXD2652, so I reckon this means the ATRAC was
> upgraded? 

Not necessarily, AFAIK the chip doing ATRAC in modern MD recorders is
also the chip doing the rest of the digital control operations in the
unit. In effect it's an "MD Chip". For the MZ-R90 they've made changes
to reduce power consumption and for general functional improvements
(name bank, digital rec level, etc). It's possible that the ATRAC has
been improved, but there's no guarantee and in fact, for the sake of
saving power, you can imagine them trimming the algorithm. (You
wonder, couldn't Sony just put the ATRAC variant on the nameplate and
save us all this confusion?).

A rigorous set of THD tests on modern MD gear would be welcome.

> I remember once seeing a chart on minidisc.org which related chip
> numbers with ATRAC version, but I can't seem to find it.  If anyone could
> help...

It's in the FAQ, and I've added your info to it (thanks!). 

Rick
-----------------------------------------------------------------
To stop getting this list send a message containing just the word
"unsubscribe" to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to