Jim wrote:
>I'm looking to buy an MD boombox but have been pretty frustrated trying to
>locate one that runs on batteries and is not discontinued.

I have a Casio ZD-1 (aka MDH-1) that I got from Damark for around $200
almost a year ago. (Damark discounts offbeat consumer electronics in the
U.S. via a slick mailorder catalog.  They have a website but it wasn't
much, last time I checked.) It does run on batteries but I've never tried
it.  The manual recommends AC for recording since it uses lots of power.
It's basic, simple, elegant, not many controls.  Has a remote. Analog
tuner. Line input, head out. It has blue speaker cloth that wouldn't be too
durable in a portable situation.  I don't know if it's just mine, but the
CD player is really picky about scratches, etc.

I also had my sweaty little hands on the Sanyo MCD-3100 (on it's way to
becoming somebody's Xmas present).  It's definitely AC only.  It looked
much better than the pictures on the web.  Adds a cassette section, digital
preset tuner, mic input.  Also has remote, line in, head out, and cloth
grills.  It sounded pretty good, the speakers have some sort of motional
feedback gizmo.

Both do digital CD->MD but have no digital inputs or outputs.