From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com <listsad...@lists.myitforum.com> on behalf
of Marable, Mike <mmara...@med.umich.edu>
Sent: Saturday, October 8, 2016 5:08 AM
To: mdtosd@lists.myitforum.com
Subject: RE: [MDT-OSD] RE: VMWare EFI VMs Not Seen as Virtual Machines

Sorry, I got sidetracked at work.

I tested both a BIOs VM as well as an EFI VM in VMWare Workstation 12.  I ran
“wmic computersystem get model” on each.

BIOs
[cid:image007.jpg@01D2213B.1E66B400]

EFI
[cid:image008.jpg@01D2213B.1E66B400]

Looking at the ZTIGather script this block of code is what sets the “IsVM”
variable for VMWare machines.

ElseIf oEnvironment.Item("Model") = "VMware Virtual Platform" then

' VMware detected

                sVMPlatform = "VMware"
                bIsVM = true

So because the EFI machines reports back the model as “VMware7,1” it doesn’t
meet any of the criteria for identifying VMs and is then considered a physical
machine.  Like Michael said, “…. Knowing VMWare…..”.

I believe that by adding the following to ZTIGather it will be able to catch
these EFI VMs.

ElseIf oEnvironment.Item("Model") = "VMware7,1" then

                ' VMware detected

                sVMPlatform = "VMware"
                bIsVM = true

Of course you could get fancy and have it look for “VMware” in the model, but
1) that’s not how Microsoft has written the other VM checks and 2) personally I
like to keep to the K.I.S.S. principle.

Thanks
Mike