I've started trying to fix a bug in Stanford CoreNLP and there's an issue
with them accessing large arrays.

The code is 10 years old so 16GB of RAM (I'm sure) seemed a lot back
them... but easy to exceed now.

The limitation is that they're using a double[] to store feature vectors.

I think this could be fixed by just converting all the pointers from int to
long and then using a 3rd party lookup.

I was thinking about using mmap but the pointers there are ints too...

I could use Unsafe but that's not super fun.

Do I have any other options here?

I just checked and Netty ByteBuf still uses ints for pointers.  So that's
not an option either.

One other strategy is to take a long, but internally convert it to a 2D
array.

This is kind of ugly though as it would require extra pointer arithmetic
for each access.