Congestion-control and other tcp param tuning shouldn't change latency
of send/write. They can affect read for sure.

I'd check L1 and LLC cache misses, branch prediction stats, TLB misses
etc (check 'perf list' for details). If this doesn't show a very sharp
difference, I'd trace the impl.

If you have verified that the latency comes from system-call, I'd
trace syscall downwards (use perf probe or ftrace (tracefs) directly).

With uprobe, you can trace the code between write0 and sys_write.

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 10:15 AM, J Crawford <latencyfigh...@mail.com> wrote:
> Very good idea, Mike. If I only knew C :) I'll try to hire a C coder on
> UpWork.com or Elance.com to do that. It shouldn't be hard for someone who
> knows C network programming. I hope...
>
> Thanks!
>
> -JC
>
> On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 11:37:28 PM UTC-5, mikeb01 wrote:
>>
>> Rewrite the test in C to eliminate the JVM as the cause of the slowdown?
>>
>> On 13 April 2017 at 16:31, J Crawford <latency...@mail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ok, this is a total mystery. Tried a bunch of strategies with no luck:
>>>
>>> 1. Checked the cpu frequency with i7z_64bit. No variance in the
>>> frequency.
>>>
>>> 2. Disabled all power management. No luck.
>>>
>>> 3. Changed TCP Congestion Control Algorithm. No luck.
>>>
>>> 4. Set net.ipv4.tcp_slow_start_after_idle to false. No luck.
>>>
>>> 5. Tested with UDP implementation. No luck.
>>>
>>> 6. Placed the all sockets in blocking mode just for the heck of it. No
>>> luck, same problem.
>>>
>>> I'm out of pointers now and don't know where to run. This is an important
>>> latency problem that I must understand as it affects my trading system.
>>>
>>> Anyone who has any clue of what might be going on, please throw some
>>> light. Also, if you run the provided Server and Client code in your own
>>> environment/machine (over localhost/loopback) you will see that it does

Regards,
Janmejay
http://codehunk.wordpress.com