War against dogmas

Desmond Tutu, André Azoulay and Ali Alatas

November 15, 2006

When asked about the current relations between Muslim and Western societies,
most people are likely to think about the ‘cartoon crisis’, the
controversial remarks of Pope Benedict regarding the Prophet Mohammad, or
the debates raging in many European countries over the wearing of the veil
by some Muslim women. In addition, most would recognise that terrorist
attacks on the one hand and military interventions in countries like Iraq
and Afghanistan on the other, have increased the climate of suspicion that
seems to be spreading across the world.

Staggering economic inequalities and the ever-widening gap between the haves
and the have-nots are also creating new fault lines, dividing peoples and
nations.

These tensions help fuel the damaging yet powerful myth of a ‘clash of
civilisations’ — an ideological boon for all those who share an interest in
shoring up hostility between Muslims and the West. A year ago, the UN
Secretary General created the Alliance of Civilisations High Level Group to
help challenge this myth and recommend concrete measures to build bridges
among communities worldwide. Our group’s report, which we are presenting to
Kofi Annan this week, debunks a number of misconceptions while confronting
some uncomfortable realities.

First, there is no basis, in our opinion, for the claim that ‘civilisations’
are set on an inevitable collision course. Civilisations are not solid,
monolithic blocs; rather, they are the result of complex mutual exchanges
and constant cross-fertilisation among cultural groups. The growing
polarisation between the West and the Muslim world is undeniable. But it is
not unavoidable. Such fatalism denies individual freedom and mistakenly
portrays human beings, communities and nations as mere pawns of history.

Second, the history of relations between Muslim and Western societies is not
primarily one of conflict. Despite periods of war, Islam, Christianity and
Judaism have all benefited from each other through trade and intellectual
exchanges. Historically, under Muslim rule, Jews and Christians have largely
been free to practise their faiths and many rose to high political positions
in Islamic empires. Similarly, in recent centuries, political, scientific,
cultural and technological developments in the West have helped influence
the Muslim world in many positive ways.

Third, we firmly reject the claim that the roots of the widening rift
between Muslim and Western societies lie in religion or culture. Rather,
they are to be found in politics. In our view, there are two key factors
feeding the current climate of suspicion and fear that mars relations across
communities. In the first instance, the Israeli-Palestinian issue has become
a key symbol of the rift between Western and Muslim societies and remains
one of the biggest threats to international stability.

We passionately believe that the international community should turn its
attention to this festering conflict with a renewed sense of urgency. In
addition, military operations in countries like Iraq and Afghanistan are
contributing to a growing climate of fear and animosity. The spiralling
death toll and violence in both those countries are helping swell the ranks
of terrorist groups.

The other factor is the oppression of non-violent political actors in the
Muslim world, which strengthens the hand of extremists. Denying peaceful
opposition movements the freedom to express their views and jailing their
supporters generate anger and resentment, encouraging some, especially among
the young, to join violent groups. And when Western governments lend their
support — tacitly or overtly — to authoritarian regimes, they become part of
the problem, stoking the fire of extremism. These issues are compounded by
resistance to reform and limitations placed on intellectual inquiry which
deprive many Muslim countries of the impetus and energy needed to achieve
social progress.

To help address the West Asian conflict, we propose the development of a
White Paper analysing the Israeli-Palestinian landscape dispassionately and
objectively, giving voice to the competing narratives on both sides, and
establishing clearly the conditions that must be met to find a way out of
this crisis.

Among the issues feeding tensions between Muslim and Western societies is
the potentially destructive impact of inflammatory language sometimes used
by political and religious leaders and the effect such language can have
when disseminated by the media. We urge leaders and shapers of public
opinion to behave responsibly and do everything in their power to promote
mutual respect for religious beliefs and traditions.

We also request the UN Secretary General to appoint a High Representative to
assist in defusing cross-cultural tensions, build bridges of understanding
and create pathways toward reconciliation, especially in times of crisis. In
addition to these critical steps aimed at addressing political conflicts, we
believe that initiatives in the areas of education, media, youth and
migration are necessary to build bridges and promote a culture of respect
and understanding among Western and Muslim communities.

In today’s interconnected world, nobody is immune from the growing danger of
polarisation between societies and cultures. As global neighbours, we all
share the responsibility of building a common culture of respect and
promoting a rational debate about issues that threaten to divide us. We will
achieve progress not by attempting to ignore or deny our differences, but by
acknowledging them openly and by celebrating our diversity.

We must also recognise that these differences are not primarily religious or
cultural, but political. In other words, they are not insurmountable and can
be overcome through determined leadership and sustained negotiations. Only
by engaging on this path will we be able to work out a common way forward,
one that builds on the goals we share and rejects the doomsday scenarios of
clashing civilisations.

Desmond Mpilo Tutu is the Archbishop of Cape Town, South Africa. He was
awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1984.

André Azoulay is the Advisor to His Majesty King Mohammed VI of Morocco. He
is the founder of the group, Identity and Dialogue, dedicated to improving
Jewish-Arab understanding.

Ali Alatas is the former Foreign Minister of Indonesia. He is a United
Nations special envoy.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1845203,00120001.htm

Klik:

http://mediacare.blogspot.com

atau

www.mediacare.biz

Untuk berlangganan MEDIACARE, kirim email kosong ke:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional